Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Diamond Jubilee Tea in Harlem

It’s a funny thing about the Queen. I don’t pay her much attention and yet she seems to have always been part of our lives. Dad was photographed with her in Berlin when we lived there and she visited. I remember all the Children from Charlottenberg school lining the road waving Union Jack flags for the same visit. Uncle Uffa (Fox) sailed with Prince Philip and taught Charles, Ann and Andrew to sail. When Mum was in hospital waiting to give birth to me; there was a hullabaloo outside her room, as Uffa appeared with beautiful flowers. He had been having lunch at the Palace, and told the Queen he was off to see Lucy in hospital and she gave him the vase of flowers from the lunch table to bring to Mum. And on, there are stories. While I was in London for Dad’s funeral in February. I could hardly fail to notice that the Queen was everywhere. Diamond Jubilee. Sue, my cousin that I stay with, had recorded a documentary about the Queen. I realized as I watched it that there had been no other King or Queen in my lifetime. A memory came to mind of us as a family in Riccione back in the mid 60’s, we had somehow been talking about the Royal family, as you do! I asked Dad how many Kings and Queens had been in Dad’s lifetime. He reeled of George V, Edward VIII, George VI and Elizabeth II. Wow, that was a lot! Would I see so many? No, he said you would have Elizabeth II and Charles. Not many! On my last day, Sue and I were flying around Brent Cross, picking up my last bits and chocolate; I saw Union Jack cup cake cases, mini flags and other decorations. I put them in my bag for check out and decided I would have a Diamond Jubilee Party in Harlem. Over the following weeks as I saw and talked to friends and neighbors I told them we would be having a Diamond Jubilee Party, June 2nd and Ladies had to wear Hats. As June drew closer different people reminded me or confirmed the Diamond Jubilee Party. At the same time we got busier with bookings all around June 2nd, but nothing actually on the date. I began to think “ am I really going to have this party?” But I’d told too many people to cancel. The menu and time began to change, from Lunch with Coronation Chicken Salad, a curried chicken salad, that was developed in the 1952 for the Queens Coronation, England was still on rations, so it had to be thrifty and tasty. I have had many versions of it, my recipe will follow. With a pasta salad of some sort, nice green salad all followed by Eton Mess, a delicious concoction of broken meringue, whipped cream and raspberries and/or strawberries. I settled on afternoon tea. Timing was right, the garden would not be too hot. I had had a mental image of sunny kitchen Jane, baking and icing; Coffee Walnut Cake; Lemon Cake; Cheese scones hot from the oven with home made Damson Jam; a beautiful Dundee fruit cake as center piece. The realities of time and just what people would eat set in. Dundee cake was the first thing to go, as I knew I would be the only person to eat it. I asked Suzanne if she would make cupcakes. Suzanne happens to make the best cup cakes ever, unequivocally. That was my genius stroke. Num would make his Mixed Nut Shortbread and Pecan Bars. I would make the rest Tea Sandwiches: yes, yes, of course, Chicken Almond Rounds! Drinks , never changed. Pimms, Elderflower spritzers, Prosecco and Pellegrino. I had thought I had a few bottle of Pimms left, about 20 years ago I had catered a Pimms sponsored party and had Umbrella’s and a case of Pimms left. But apparently we had drunk it or given bottles away. I had thought it would be the easiest thing, but kept forgetting to buy it! So mid day I headed out to pick up a few last minute items (Pimms). The first liquor store I went to, I got to the Pimms as a woman lent in and took the last bottle. I went to 3 other liquor stores before finding a bottle. Apparently every other Brit in NY was doing the same thing. Beautiful ladies in wonderful hats began to arrive, many of whom had not seen each other in 20 years or so; people meeting for the first time. Pimm’s was drunk, tea eaten. Conversation and laughter filled the garden. Num , Hui and John played music, Num doing a spontaneous rap for the Queen. http://youtu.be/9jLwwg51i3U It was a glorious early summer afternoon, no bugs, not too hot Coronation Chicken Salad 4 Chicken breasts cooked, poached, cut into one inch pieces 2 cups Mayonaise 1 cup mango chutney 2 scallions chopped 2 tablespoons dry sherry 2 tablespoons curry powder - I like the Sharwoods Hot Combine last four ingredients in Cuisinart or blender. Mix into chicken pieces. I add various things to this mixture. Cut up fresh mango or chopped dried apricots and cashew nuts. .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home