Saturday, November 27, 2010

Aileen McKay Dalton

Aileen McKay Dalton

In my years catering in New York, I have had a number of girls/women that have come and worked with me. Some for a few months: Kate a Kiwi; girl from Wales whose name has gone, but was terrified of New York; a Russian Punk Rock singer. Some stay just for
a few days, a spanish collage artist; many Brits and Irish passing through. I have always quite enjoyed them, breath of fresh air, something new to think about. I am not talking here of the girls who went on to become great friends, but more the flotsam of people who come and go in one’s life living in New York City.

I say all of this because there was one girl who was the exception to this rule. Almost 20 years ago, Florencia, my sister in law, called from Penn State. I was driving up to see she and Simon the next weekend, could I give a lift to a friend of a friend who had just arrived in New York. I told her to tell the friend to come to the apartment at a certain time and sure I would take her up and back with me.

Enter Aileen. Beautiful, excited stunning Aileen McKay. Aileen wore silver locks, the only white person that I have ever seen look good in locks; a nose pierce - another thing
that added to Aileen’s stunning beauty; a pale blue mohair sweater, long skirt and Dr. Martin boots. I loved her style and looks. She kept telling me the 70’s was coming back - it did, but took a few more years.

We drove up and back, spent some time over that weekend. I was hooked by Aileen’s good spirits, charm and ease. She had great stories to tell. I knew that NYC would consider her a keeper, as she loved it so it would love her.

We all worked a Thanksgiving together. In those days I would drive up to CT, with crews for different jobs. I was at Angela’s stunning CT manse. Aileen was with me, I knew she would love to see the glamor of this particular Hollywood in CT life. We laughed about it on our way back, here we all were from small towns in the Highlands or Isle of Wight, living and breathing what we had only seen on tv.

That Christmas when I went out to LA for my Hollywood Christmas, Aileen stayed in my apartment with Clifford my dog. Mike her boyfriend came over, they all had a good time, playing house for Christmas.

Aileen moved on, made friends, lived the downtown life. I would see her periodically and knew she was loving it all. Mike moved here. I didn’t see so much of her but she would call once or twice a year to tell me of her NYC adventure. Mike got a job in Japan or Australia and they moved. Aileen was bereft to leave her favorite city. I told her she would be back.

We lost touch for many years, but I often wondered where she was, I always felt she had returned to NY. And then 3 years ago Aileen was one of the first people to find me on facebook. She and Mike were married had 3 children, lived in Brooklyn, now so much better than downtown.Through facebook I got to live Aileen’s NYC adventure once again, and there was a lot of it. Aileen lived life.

Last July, there was suddenly a post on Aileen’s page, which I knew was not Aileen. Aileen was dead. An SUV hit her Vespa while driving in Brooklyn, looking for a space for a ‘farewell’ party as they were off to Oxford for a year. It was a huge shock.
I felt that a light had been put out in the universe.

At her funeral a bird sat in a tree and sang throughout the service.


A couple of times yesterday, my thoughts went to Aileen McKay and her first Thanksgiving. I give thanks for having known Aileen McKay Dalton.

2 Comments:

At November 27, 2010 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Jane this is beautiful. I've posted a link on The friend's of Aileen facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131557233547080

 
At February 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM , Blogger Diana Schad said...

Jane, that's beautiful. I knew Aileen when she and I were gawky, shy teenagers, living in Scotland. So sad for her Mike , the children and her lovely mum Marion. Thanks for writing, it was good to get a tiny picture of her life out there in the US.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home